MIDI Controller

LXConsole support and feedback
viktor.wendin

MIDI Controller

Post by viktor.wendin »

Is it possible to use the KORG Nanokontroller in lxconsol?
and if?
How do I address the faders and knobs etc in lxconsol?

I want to use the faders in the nano to control the submasters in the software.

and

thank you for a great free lightingsoftware for mac!

/viktor
AlrIk

Same way

Post by AlrIk »

Hi,
i need to do the same than Viktor (more or less)... And control specific channel manualy from a MIDI controler.

It's possible to do it with the new channel control windows, but it's not so easy and fast (need to select the channel, and do it from the Mac).

And thank you for great works.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check out the MIDI tab of the Setup window.

You can trigger a command by a MIDI note and use the velocity as a value. The command syntax is the same as used on the command line. "1@%v" will set the level of channel one to the velocity of the triggering note.

This is explained in the LXConsole Help for the Setup Window / MIDI.
viktor.wendin

Post by viktor.wendin »

ok

I will check it out.
working with midi is new for me, but I will give it a shot.

thanx
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking at the KORG manual it seems as if the knobs and sliders send "control change" messages rather than "note on" messages like the buttons.

So, LXConsole 1.3.25 (latest build) responds to control change messages as well as note on messages. The setup is quite similar. To respond to a control change message, the trigger value should be 128 + the control function number.

So, a trigger of 60 responds to note on for middle-C. A trigger of 144 responds to a control change for General Purpose Controller 1 (16 + 128).
AlrIk

Post by AlrIk »

Thank for this update,

I had already understood the note on, and control Lxconsol by Qlab in midi, and check the channel control in the form "1@%v". But i needed a control change to assign a fader to a channel.

I will try that now. With a midi controler and with Qlab.

My last question, but i will try to understand alone, is how find the fader midi adress to assign him to a channel in Lx.

For exemple in D::Light, it's possible to open a Midi windows who give you the midi adress when you play the fader.

I'll check and tell.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think what you are getting at is a way to find out the MIDI trigger information from a source. I can see why this would be easier than looking up the note or control change numbers.

So, today's build (v1.3.26) adds a "Detect" function to the MIDI setup. With detect active (and MIDI enabled) note on and control change messages show their trigger values at the bottom of the window. If you add an action, the current value in the detect field automatically becomes the initial trigger value of the new action.

The use goes something like this. Connect the controller and enable MIDI. (Of course, the MIDI channels must correspond.) Open the Setup window and switch to the MIDI tab. Click "Detect" and then move a slider. The trigger value for that control should show up in the detect field. Click "+" to add an action. The action should be set to the trigger value and defaults to the command "1@%v" This means that the slider should now control the level of channel 1.
AlrIk

Post by AlrIk »

Great!!!

It works very well! It's now very easy and fast to connect a midi controller, in LXconsol with a keyboard, with Qlab, with a slider. The detect window give the trigger number, and the command list is simple, and notice in the lx help.

Thank you.

An other proposition to go more in midi control, maybe it's already possible to do it, but i didn't find the way (even with out midi), is to control a chase-effect and a sub-master during a live session with a midi slider or keyboard. So i can play a cue in live and keep some independent effect.

I hope it is or it will be possible...

Thanks again.
viktor.wendin

Post by viktor.wendin »

yes it sounds great. I mean addressing submasters and effects to.

I´ve not tested the new version online yet, but it looks good.

thank you for quick response.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can control a sub through the command line as in "sub: 1@50". The space after the colon is necessary. A MIDI action command could be "sub: 1@%v".

The thing about subs in LXConsole is that the way they have been working is almost the same as a group for editing purposes--instead of independently for live purposes.

Today's version of LXConsole (1.3.27) finally takes on the submaster issue that has been long on the list of projects. Submasters are now only added live and can be changed live while a cue is running.

Also, MIDI actions can be exported/imported so you can set up actions for a controller like the KORG once and import them into different files. And the actions commands are expanded to the other buttons in the Live window, "BACK", "HOLD", "STOP", in addition to "GO".

The Help has not yet been updated to reflect these changes.
AlrIk

Post by AlrIk »

thanks for this new update.

I just downloaded it and i'll test it in the afternoon.
I think all this update will give a lot of new possibility for live control in LxConsol.

Great!
AlrIk

Post by AlrIk »

I tested the midi control for submaster, "every thing" (for the use i need) work perfectly. I tested with a Korg nanocontroler, and with Qlab, it's beautiful!

With the midi detect window and the possibility to control sub, and channel in live mode, it's just easy and fast and precise.

It's even possible to program fade curve in a midi cue in Qlab, and make it repeat, and it give a chase effect. I just need to test the priority, if i play a cue during...(I just think about it now, but the theatre is closed, so i will see that tomorrow.)

Great work!
Thanks
AlrIk

Post by AlrIk »

Hi,
I test a little bit more the program (version 1.3.27, and 1.3.30), and i saw a small problem.
When i control two channels with a midi controller, it makes a priority conflict. It's not possible to make a manual fade when i change the in intensity of the other channel, because it changes the selected channel, and the both channel can't be selected at the same time.

I don't know if you understand what i mean... I hope.

Any way the master in the live window is again a good new update.
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are mapping MIDI to faders in the channel controls window then you need to select the channel to be controlled first. There are two alternatives if you want to control intensity. One is to map the MIDI to a regular command such as "10@%v" which sets the level of channel 10. The other is to map the MIDI to a "sub: 10@%v" command where the channel you want to control is recorded in the submaster.

If you are mapping MIDI to faders in the channel controls window because you want to control parameters such as pan and tilt, you can still use the regular command syntax with the sub-channel specified. This would be "10.2@%v" for pan and "10.4@%v" for tilt (using channel 10 as an example).

The latest version 1.3.30+ has the ability to have more than one document send output. So, one solution is to have one file where you map faders to the channel controls for one selected channel and another file open where you map fader controls to another selected channel. This live mode display will only show the channel levels for that document. However, the DMX output will be a combination of output from all open files.
AlrIk

Post by AlrIk »

Hello,
Is it possible to have a the master controled by a control change midi controler?

Thanks
Cordialement
Alrik