LX Console windows

LXConsole support and feedback
Johan Söderberg

LX Console windows

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Hi again.

I wonder why the so called "main window" must be on top, otherwise I get no option to open any other windows from the view menu.

Since that main window contains information only about what already is live on stage I´ve found Im not so interested to have it open during performance. The Preset information only confirms what I already see on stage.
I d like to see where I am, if something currently is changing AND where Im supposed to be going next.

Today i found that if I close the main window I didnt know how to open it again. I saved and closed the app and then it returned. Guess I could have picked it up from "the dock" in my mac though...

As it is now the most interesting information in the main window during playback to me is that the percentage numbers move up or down. Thats a confirmation of the fact that something is happening although it may be a very slow crossfade.Just like the discrete reminder in the live window showing what cue nr currently is running.

This information - that a crossfade is going on - could be clearer and more obvious to prevent from doubleclicking.

Once the programming is done Im actually not very interested in each channels value nor what group, purpose or color they may have.
By then Im mainly interested in time and cue information.

The "When" field for current and coming cue and all times active in my next upcoming crossfade.
The "what" field is maybe good during rehearsals and preparation but when its live I find it less interesting of the same reason as before: I then look on stage and there I already see the "what".

So during playback a combination of the "live window" and the cuelist would be sufficient with the addition of info about where in the sequence I am and where Im going next through what kind of crossfade.

That´s now number one on my wishlist after three days with LXConsole!

Wold be great to hear other opinions on the subject!

Bye for now, and thanks again for a great app with fantastic potential!
:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It has been a while since I have had time to work on LXConsole. But, there have not been many comments here.

LXConsole was originally an offline cue editor. So, it is not focused on being a live console. The USB/DMX support was added to capture DMX. Once it was there, it was not much to add the ability to play cues. That is why the main window is an editing window rather than a playback window.

In the latest version, the Live window has been modified so that it shows the previous, current and next cues. The live window changes when a cue is actually running.

Other auxiliary windows are now accessible via menu (View) from each other as well as the main window.

In a playback situation, you could hide the main window by minimizing it to the dock. You can find it again in the "Windows" menu.

The "what" field of the cue list can be a reminder of the purpose or look of the cue that is distinct from "when" it happens. But, the cue list and/or that column can be resized so it is not seen during playback.

BTW I use the "what" field extensively to document the essential elements of the cue. (for example: warm shins at 60, USR special at 50) Because I work a lot with dance, I adapt cues from a particular piece to different plots and situations quite frequently.
Johan Söderberg

Sounds like some nice improvements.

Interesting to hear that LXConsole actually was intended to be an "offline cue editor".
To me it seemed such a very good idea to connect the plot database to a live instrument that I took for granted it was the primary purpose to do so. :o

I hope that doesn´t mean you have no ambitions to make it a live-tool. That would be a shame because after a comparison with other editors I think LX Console has all the potential to become the No 1 choice for sequence builds. Already its cleaner, more simple and a lot easier to use than any comparable app Ive found downloadable for macs.

So please, keep up the good work!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually,

LXConsole was intended to do two things. The main use by itself was as an offline editor. The second was to be a cuing interface for LXBeams. :D

With MacLux Pro, the cues and plot were very tightly integrated. This made it cumbersome to do cue editing unless you had a plot to go along with the cues all the time. So, the idea with LXConsole was to split the cueing function out and let its interface concentrate on cueing alone.

With "Run Script on Cue Update" turned on and the "Send to LXBeams" script set in the preferences, any change in LXConsole causes beams to be created in LXBeams. Which is very much like MacLux Pro except you don't have to use it that way.
moonprayer77

Main Window

Post by moonprayer77 »

Is there anyway to make the channel and intensity numbers bigger? They are just awfully small.
Johan Söderberg

Re: Main Window

moonprayer77 wrote:Is there anyway to make the channel and intensity numbers bigger? They are just awfully small.
No there isn´t. - At least I dont know of any.

But since LXConsole is very suitable for small rigs with not so many channels I agree that that´s a very good idea for a request to put on the wishlist for coming updates.

Making a simple and clean interface even more simple and readable seems like a good idea.

If you have a high monitor resolution the main window sometimes feels ridiculously tiny. On my laptop I have room for 4 DMX universes visible in the main window when set to resolution 1920*1200. That's a bit unnecessarily roomy for most occassions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole will get a zoomable channel display in the near future.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole 2.0.9 (Latest Build download) has a zoomable main display.
moonprayer77

Thank You

Post by moonprayer77 »

That is perfect.
AlrIk

Post by AlrIk »

Almost perfect...
Since this new update, it's not possible to make the main windows very small. And i'm use to work on a 13" mac Book, so it's very important for me. See picture who follow:

Now the main windows is too big so i can't see every channel.

Thanks for the zoom, but please, make possible to keep the main windows small.

:wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your screen capture shows why the size of the main window was locked to keep it from getting too small. The buttons and sliders don't have room and overlap creating a mess. Suggestions?